I love to cook, I really do - but I rarely have the time or desire. I've been trying out a few new recipes lately cause I recently joined Weight Watchers. This next week marks my 4th week and I've lost almost 11 pounds so far. Yay me!! (channeling London from the Disney Channel:))
I made this recipe Sunday night and it was a hit.
Baked Beef Ziti
Makes 8 servings
5 points per serving (if you're counting points:))
- 12 oz uncooked ziti
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1/3 pound raw lean ground beef
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat; add garlic and sauté 2 minutes. Add beef and cook until browned, breaking up meat with a spoon as it cooks, about 3 to 5 minutes; drain off any fat and set pan back over medium heat.
- Add oregano, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper; stir to coat beef. Cook until herbs become fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spoon a small amount of beef-tomato mixture into bottom of a 4-quart casserole dish (just enough to cover surface); top with half of cooked ziti. Next, layer with half of remaining beef-tomato sauce and half of mozzarella cheese. Layer with remaining ziti and then top with remaining beef-tomato sauce; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake until cheese is golden and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Slice into 8 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.