Saturday, January 12, 2008

Fantastic Goodies and Soldering Adventures

A few days ago I saw on someone's blog (I wish I remembered who!!) that the Hello Kitty sewing maching was on clearance at Target...I asked hubby to check the store on Thursday and they were already sold out. Well Hubby called me this morning from work at about 6:15 am to let me know that he found one!! YEAH!!!! It was on clearance for $49!! Plus we get out 10% employee discount on it too. I was so excited when he brought it home. I told Miss S that this would be "her" machine and I would teach her how to sew on it. I'm afraid to open it cause I probably will want to keep it for myself:)


And my sweet sister sent me a gift card to Barnes and Noble for Christmas. I went shopping Thursday at lunch and look at the goodies I bought! The Japanese craft book on the left has even been translated into English! I'm so excited! The crochet book is super cool and the softie book is even better because....


Look who one of the artists is - Moki! I called to hassle her for not telling me she was going to be in the book and she was not even aware that she was in it!


I worked today on my charms for the Soldering 101 class I am taking from Kerry Lynn. My two pendants turned out really well - I went to the glass store today and bought a bunch of glass scraps in all different colors to play around with. I also made a little collage pendant but I cracked the glass when I was soldering it:( Oh well - that's why I'm taking a class - to learn what to do and what not to do! I will probably wear one of these pendants to church tomorrow.

My soldering iron is not working right though and I had a heck of a time with our second project - a ring. I love the concept of it and I think that next time I will use a darker glass so you can't see the strip of solder behind it that the ring part is attached too. And I will wear it on my right hand, not my left hand....but I could not take a good picture with my left hand: )

Once I figure out what is wrong with my iron I hope to make another one. For now, though, the solder is not melting quickly and it's causing me a lot of grief so I put it away for today. Tomorrow I will try again:)

11 comments:

Jan said...

Way cool. I've been wanting to take a soldering class. I took a Stained Glass As Art class in college, many eons ago, so I really need a refresher.

Anonymous said...

these are fantastic rae!!
xoxo

Rick said...

You need to be aware that there is lead in solder and the fumes are toxic, so please solder in a well ventilated place. We can't enjoy your creativity if you aren't around to share it.

Anonymous said...

Mimi has cousin! Does that make Miss S my niece??? How cool is your new machine!

So funny... when I first read "soldering", I thought it said soldiering... like you were in some army class. I love your creations and how fun!

BTW... I love, love, love, love, love, love the new look of My Love!

Yard Sale Princess said...

Thank you so much for visiting my new blog. Wow, you are so lucky to have teh inside scoop on Target! Your artwork is beautiful.

MéLisa said...

Oh!!!! I think that your pendants look great, a little lumpy but that gives them personality! I was researching how to make soldered pendants & from what I have learned you have to have a soldering iron that keeps a consistant temperature or use a temp controller with your iron. I think that is why your edges aren't as smooth as you would like.

Vallen said...

Darla (seasidetomountainside) and I are plannong to take a class form Ulla this year and learn how to do this. I am so excited to learn.

Roxanne said...

great job on the soldering!! That is one craft that needs a lot of practic - although yours look great already!!

Oh, and Lucky Miss S!! How cute is that machine? I would steal it too!!

kelly said...

so you are going to be my go to girl. i just got s soldering iron & am going to start playing around with. if i have any questions, i just might have to drop you a line. and i love that sewing machine - too cute.

Monique said...

I almost bought one for C! Almost irresistable!

I remembered seeing some show about a lady that made jewelry out of seaglass and remebered it just know...even though I already saw your jewelry lol! I'll have to find my sea glass and give it a try.

Cheryl ~ ZanyMayd said...

Hi Raesha,

I was just watching a program the other day & the lady was showing how the solder wasnt flowing correctly, she said when that happens, you need to add more flux, she just used her brush & fluxed right over the spot & it did the trick, it would sure be worth a try.....
cheryl