I recently became the owner of my step-dad's hutch via my baby brother Chad. This poor little hutch had seen better days and was an awful shade of oaky brown with yucky bronze hardware. After a little TLC this baby looks AWESOME!! It is now in the kitchen and as Miss S exclaimed "It really warms up the kitchen".
Here's what I did:
1. Cleaned it REALLY well.
2. Removed ALL the brass hardware
3. Roughed up the paint a little with sandpaper
4. Tried staining it dark brown, which was not working - went to Home Depot and got paint
5. Painted it with two coats of a a beautiful semi gloss - I think it was Behr. The paint color was Bitter Chocolate.
6. Went back to Home Depot and Lowes looking for the perfect hardware
7. Returned the hardware cause it wasn't right.
8. Finally ordered hardware off of Lowes.com
9. Moved that sucker in to the kitchen after bribing Chad to help in exchange for dinner
10. Waited 10 LONG days for the hardware to come in.
11. Made lovey eyes at Hubby until he put the new hardware on for me.
12. Filled it to the brim with kitchen stuff
13. Stood back, admired it, and am now on the hunt for my next project!