Monday, March 28, 2011

Good Friends

My friend Stan and his wife were in town last week for a wedding - Stan and I have been friends since about the very first day I moved to Albuquerque in December 1986. We have not seen each other in at least 15 years and I was thrilled when he called and we were able to go to lunch together on Thursday. Stan served part of his mission in my hometown of Silverdale and now he and his wife live in Seattle....I told him we will definitely get together next time we are up there.


Here's to old friends -

Old friends, old friends sat on their parkbench like bookends
A newspaper blowin' through the grass
Falls on the round toes of the high shoes of the old friends

Old friends, winter companions, the old men
Lost in their overcoats, waiting for the sun
The sounds of the city sifting through trees
Settles like dust on the shoulders of the old friends

Can you imagine us years from today, sharing a parkbench quietly
How terribly strange to be seventy

Old friends, memory brushes the same years, silently sharing the same fears

(Simon and Garfunkel)

No comments: